Saturday, May 26, 2012

Heartbroken....

I know I promised to use this blog for Mama, wife, teacher life stuff, but today is a little different.  Whenever I was a girl, I would write.  I kept journals (that I doubt my parents even know about to this day) of happy times, but especially when I had a heavy heart.  This is one of those times.

Yesterday evening, sweet friends of ours lost their 17-year old daughter.  She and 3 other kids were headed out to do some fishing and had a car accident.

Kristen was beautiful.  But, more than that, she was a good girl.  Like the kind of girl you hope your little girl grows up to be when she's seventeen.

When I heard, I was immediately sick to my stomach.  My kids had worn me out yesterday and I'd just finished telling Bill this was going to be a long summer.  And, then, one of my friends loses her baby. Just like that.

Hanna wanted to know what the big deal was that her Daddy and I were whispering about.  I took her in the other room, sat her down and explained what happened.  Oh, my sweet girl! Her innocence and love of the Lord made my heart swell.  She said "Poor Kolby, Mom! He must be heartbroken!" (Kolby is Kristen's younger brother).  "She was so nice to me.  Remember, she told me to put bobby pins in my headband at basketball to keep it on?  I know it's sad, Mom, but we know where she is".  Here I am crying at the loss of this child, and my daughter had to remind me that she was with the Lord and OK.

So, hug yours a little tighter and make a memory today.  Life's too short.  


Kristen and her aunt Staci at this year's prom

3 comments:

  1. So, so tragic. I hate hearing stories like this, gone too soon. Saying a prayer for her family tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Nat. She really was an absolutely precious girl. Continuing praying for this special family:)

      Delete
  2. We all feel pain when one is taken from us so young! To lose a child has to be one of the hardest things for a parent to go through. Prayers for the family, friends, and community!
    It is good that you can use your blog to not only help you heal, but to help others as well!! Love you

    ReplyDelete